The Poplar Creek Public Library District (hereinafter, the "Library") has three (3) meeting rooms and two media rooms located in its Main Library located in Streamwood, Illinois. These meeting rooms are used for library sponsored events and programs and are also available for meetings and functions associated for local government entities, groups dedicated to the promotion of civic, cultural, educational and informational needs of the community, local businesses, and not-for-profit entities.
Meeting Rooms are available on a first come, first serve basis to community groups regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the group. Priority for the use of the meeting rooms will be given in the following order:
- Library sponsored meetings, programs or events.
- Meetings, programs or events sponsored by not-for-profit organizations. Not-for-profit organizations include those engaged in intellectual, charitable, civic, cultural, educational and/or recreational activities; these free programs are open to the public and cultural or educational in nature. At least one member of the group is a library card holder and resident of the district.
The Meeting Rooms are not available for the following purposes:
- Meeting Rooms may not be used for meetings, programs, or events involving the sale, advertising, solicitation or promotion of commercial products or services immediately or at a future time. No money should be exchanged for non-library products or services on held on library property. Exceptions may be made for library sponsored programs where authors would be allowed to sell their books and musicians, their music.
- Meetings that interfere with the function of the Library and/or its users because of noise or other factors.
- Classes or demonstrations involving the use of hazardous materials and/or weapons.
- Private Parties or celebration, including birthday, holiday, wedding or anniversary celebrations.
The Library is not responsible for the content of meetings, programs or events held on the premises. The use of the meeting room facilities does not constitute Library endorsement of the philosophies, practices or viewpoints of presenters, participants or attendees. The following disclaimer must be included in all written, electronic and broadcast publicity materials about the meeting, program or event.
“Poplar Creek Library offers meeting room space to the community. It neither endorses nor sponsors the event or presenting individual or organization.”
Rules for Use
- The name, address, and/or telephone number of the Library may not be used as the address or headquarters for any group using the Meeting Room nor can the Library’s phone number be advertised for registration purposes. The Library reserves the right to cancel any groups that employ this practice.
- The Library is a non-smoking facility. Therefore, smoking is not permitted in the building or within 15ft of the perimeter of the building.
- The user agrees to hold harmless, defend and indemnify the Library and its employees against all loss, liability, damage and expense, including attorney’s fees, incurred by any of the parties on account of any injury to or death of any person or persons while on the premises as a result of user’s activities; regardless of whether claim is made that the Library, or its employees were negligent or acted in a wanton and wilful manner or with a wanton or wilful disregard for the injured party.
- Nails, tacks, tape, etc. and the hanging, tacking, and/or posting of flyers, signs, and/or posters on the walls, doors, shades, or windows are prohibited.
- Warming kitchen facilities area available for groups wishing to serve beverages and/or food. Groups that are approved to use the facility must furnish their own beverages, food and supplies (including utensils and paper products). Major food preparation is prohibited.
- PCPLD will not provide signage for non-library sponsored programs.
- Use of library electronics must be arranged in advance and the group will be held accountable for all items used.
- The Meeting Rooms must be left clean and in good condition. All waste must be disposed of properly. Failure to leave the facility in proper order will result in denial of future requests to use the room.
- The Library reserves the right to terminate meetings, programs and events that disrupt or interfere with normal Library operations.
- Failure to comply with Library policies, rules and regulations will be grounds for suspension of Meeting Room privileges.
- Attendance in meetings, programs or events may not exceed room capacity as posted by the local Fire Department.
- The ratio of adults to children must be at least 1 to 8.
- The unattended children’s policy must be observed, unattended children must not be sent to the children’s department while adults attend the meeting
Each organization/group using the Meeting Rooms is responsible for reimbursing the Library for any and all damage done or presumed to have been done to Library owned furniture, equipment, and/or the facility. The Library reserves the right to limit or prohibit future use of the Meeting Rooms by groups that have caused damage to the rooms, flooring, equipment, furniture, or that have caused a disturbance in the Library, and/or failed to comply with the rules established by the Library. In addition, the Library is not responsible for loss of or damage to personal property or the personal injury to persons attending an event in the Meeting Rooms.
- Applications must be submitted to the Executive Director or his/her designee.
- An application must be submitted no more than 60 days before the requested use.
- Application does not guarantee approval of requests.
- Once an application has been submitted, the Library will then approve or deny the application. Groups will be notified of approval or denial (via phone, fax, or e-mail) within three (3) business days.
- Reservations must be applied for by a member of the interested organization who is 18 years of age or older. This individual will be the only person authorized to make changes to the reservation and will also serve as the primary contact for the Library. This person must be present for during the entire time the group is using the requested space.
- Groups must vacate the room by the time specified on the application.
- Groups may not assign their reservation to another group.
- Groups who would like to cancel their reservation must notify the Administrative Librarian as soon as possible. Cancellation notices shall be in writing and may not be rescinded later. Telephone cancellations will be accepted in cases of last minute emergencies. If a meeting room is not used and a cancellation notice is not given to the Library, future use of the Meeting Room may be suspended.
The Library reserves the right to pre-empt or cancel meetings, if an emergency arises. If this occurs, reasonable effort will be made to promptly contact the group (via phone, fax, or e-mail) and reschedule the reservation. If this is not possible, the group will be notified.
Adopted by the Poplar Creek Public Library District Board of Trustees, June 16, 2016