The Poplar Creek Public Library District (hereinafter, the "Library") has three (3) meeting rooms located in its Main Library located in Streamwood, Illinois, and one (1) meeting room located in its Branch in Hanover Park, Illinois for library related programs and functions. These meeting rooms are also available for meetings and functions associated for local government entities, groups dedicated to the promotion of civic, cultural, educational and informational needs of the community, and local businesses, and not-for-profit entities.
Availability and Use
Meeting Rooms are available on a first come, first serve basis to community groups regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the group. Priority for the use of the meeting rooms will be given in the following order:
- Library sponsored meetings, programs or events.
- Meetings, programs or events sponsored by not-for-profit organizations. Not-for-profit organizations include those engaged in intellectual, charitable, civic, cultural, educational and/or recreational activities.
- Meeting Rooms may not be used for meetings, programs, or events (including, but not limited to, workshops and seminars) involving the sale, advertising, solicitation or promotion of commercial products or services immediately or at a future time. Educational programs presented by credentialed professionals are permitted only when officially sponsored by the Library.
Application to present an educational program must be made to Library program staff members.
Meetings, programs or events may not disrupt Library users or staff. The Library reserves the right to terminate meetings, programs and events that disrupt or interfere with normal Library operations.
Failure to comply with Library policies, rules and regulations will be grounds for suspension of Meeting Room privileges.
Attendance in meetings, programs or events may not exceed room capacity as posted by the local Fire Department.
The Library is not responsible for the content of meetings, programs or events held on the premises. The use of the meeting room facilities does not constitute Library endorsement of the philosophies, practices or viewpoints of presenters, participants or attendees. The following disclaimer must be included in all written, electronic and broadcast publicity materials about the meeting, program or event. Poplar Creek Library offers meeting room space to the community. It neither endorses nor sponsors the event or presenting individual or organization.
The Meeting Rooms are not available for the following purposes:
- Political fundraising
- Religious services or other religious purposes.
- Individual political candidates or partisan political activities.
- Meetings that interfere with the function of the Library and/or its users because of noise or other factors.
- Classes or demonstrations involving the use of hazardous materials and/or weapons.
- Private Parties or celebration, including birthday, holiday, wedding or anniversary celebrations.
Rules for Use
The name, address, and/or telephone number of the Library may not be used as the address or headquarters for any group using the Meeting Room nor can the Library’s phone number be advertised for registration purposes. The Library reserves the right to cancel any groups that employ this practice.
The Library is a non-smoking facility. Therefore, smoking is not permitted in the building or within 15ft of the perimeter of the building.
The user agrees to hold harmless, defend and indemnity the Library and its employees against all loss, liability, damage and expense, including attorney’s fees, incurred by any of the parties on account of any injury to or death of any person or persons while on the premises as a result of user’s activities; regardless of whether claim is made that the Library, or its employees were negligent or acted in a wanton and willful manner or with a wanton or willful disregard for the injured party.
Nails, tacks, tape, etc. and the hanging, tacking, and/or posting of flyers, signs, and/or posters on the walls, doors, shades, or windows are prohibited.
Warming kitchen facilities area available for groups wishing to serve beverages and/or food. Groups that are approved to use the facility must furnish their own beverages, food and supplies (including utensils and paper products). Major food preparation is prohibited.
Groups wishing to post directional signage for meeting attendees may display the necessary signage on easels. Groups that wish to post directional signage must provide the signage and easels.
Animals are not allowed except for animals assisting the disabled.
Groups using the Meeting Rooms are only to use the Meeting Rooms and restrooms. The rest of the Library facilities are not available to Meeting Room users.
The Meeting Rooms must be left clean and in good condition. All waste must be disposed of properly. Failure to leave the facility in proper order will result in denial of future requests to use the room.
Each organization/group using the Meeting Rooms is responsible for reimbursing the Library for any and all damage done or presumed to have been done to Library owned furniture, equipment, and/or the facility. The Library reserves the right to limit or prohibit future use of the Meeting Rooms by groups that have caused damage to the rooms, flooring, equipment, furniture, or that have caused a disturbance in the Library, and/or failed to comply with the rules established by the Library. In addition, the Library is not responsible for loss of or damage to personal property or the personal injury to persons attending an event in the Meeting Rooms.
- Applications must be submitted to the Administrative Librarian or his/her designee.
- Application does not guarantee approval of requests.
- Once an application has been submitted, the Library will then approve or deny the application. Groups will be notified of approval or denial (via phone, fax, or e-mail) within three (3) business days.
- Reservations must be applied for by a member of the interested organization who is 18 years of age or older. This individual will be the only person authorized to make changes to the reservation and will also serve as the primary contact for the Library.
- Groups must vacate the room by the time specified on the application.
- Groups may not assign their reservation to another group.
- Groups who would like to cancel their reservation must notify the Administrative Librarian as soon as possible. Cancellation notices shall be in writing and may not be rescinded later. Telephone cancellations will be accepted in cases of last minute emergencies. If a meeting room is not used and a cancellation notice is not given to the Library, future use of the Meeting Room may be suspended.
Groups which use the Meeting Rooms while the Library is closed to the public are responsible for payment to maintenance personnel. Maintenance personnel are required on the premises to insure the safety of all Library material, equipment and property, and to secure the premises after the meeting is over. The minimum cost for said service is $100, payable at the time the group makes its reservation for use. This amount is not refundable, and the group will be responsible for additional use of the Library after-hours, as well as a penalty for such overage use.
The Library reserves the right to preempt or cancel meetings, if an emergency arises. If this occurs, reasonable effort will be made to promptly contact the group (via phone, fax, or e-mail) and reschedule the reservation. If this is not possible, the group will be notified.